Ep. 024: How Photographers Evolve
Spencer poses a very interesting question this week. What things are you doing in your photography that you never thought you would?
It seems in photography, like in life, the only constant is perpetual change. Spencer asks a question that can run as deep as you would like it to. What are you doing with your photography now that you never thought you would? Join the guys for a thought provoking talk about how the path of the photographer is forever changing.
- Time lapses are a big part of what he’s shooting now. A year ago, that was not the case.
- Social media accounts and realizing Instagram can be more than photos of your breakfast.
- Licensing images. Spencer’s work as been in everything from newspapers to museums, but licensing is a new world.
- Using photo lights for non-photographic purposes.
- Multiple tripods: Over the years, Spencer has built up a small three-legged army!
- Using a camera phone: A die-hard SLR shooter, yet that smart phone keeps coming out.
- Astrophotography. Spencer used to scoff at this and now can’t wait for Milky Way season.
- YouTube life. Scott overcame serious shyness to put his face on camera. And now he does it at least twice a week.
- Taking photos purely for content. As a photo educator, Scott captures a lot of photos and footage to assist in teaching, not just to make art.
- Studio lights. Scott’s a landscape photographer, yet owns pricey studio lights for in-studio video recording.
- Audio. Scott’s learned more about audio then he ever thought would be necessary as a photographer.
- Hosting workshops and teaching. Taking the leap into hosting his own workshops was nowhere on Scott’s radar 5 years ago.
- A selfie stick. Scott’s family used one for the sole purpose of group photos while on holiday.
- Fewer family photos. As children get older, they tend to shy away from the camera. There’s a resolution in there somewhere!
As usual, in each episode we have a tangent. This week it’s about beards. Scott also ask Spencer what the goal of his beard is. That’s never answered… although you will get a glimpse into Spencer’s beard-combing practices. That’s worth watching… right?!?!
Subscribe and share!